Download Bob Spahn’s Noteworthies September 2014 table here.
To report your November (or future) records: When possible, please enter bird lists into eBird or post on geneseebirds. Otherwise, please send next month’s reports by the 5th of December to Lynn Bergmeyer. 187 Longridge Ave., Greece, NY 14616.
- It was a warm and pleasant month, other than a cool week near mid-month, and ended with a warm sunny final week. Temperatures averaged 62.9°F, 1.1° above normal. It was the driest month since 1964, with rainfall totaling 1.33”, 2.05” below normal. There was only one day above 90° and the low for the month was 40°. Again, there were only weak movements of migrants, though among the highest numbers of species for a September was tallied.
- Again with few exceptions, waterfowl arrived at average or even early dates, however maximum counts were low, especially on Lake Ontario and more especially for diving ducks and loons. The Common Loon maximum only reached 16. Also again, there were high Double-crested Cormorant counts from near the mouth of the Genesee River and from Irondequoit Bay. There were no local reports of rarer, wandering herons and egrets.
- There were only casual reports of the summer hawk flight past Braddock Bay. Both Merlin and Peregrine Falcons were reported in good numbers, and the downtown Rochester Peregrine Falcons fledged four this summer. Again no N. Goshawks were reported.
- Shorebird variety was excellent, but peak numbers were again relatively low. The dry late August and most of September limited habitat in the Region to mostly the Lake Ontario beaches and piers and the few harvested and disked farm fields. Lake Ontario levels were dropping, but not down to levels for good mudflats until just at month’s end. Buff-breasted Sandpipers were found in enough places and over a long enough period to allow many to see them.
- Parasitic Jaegers were hit and miss over most of the month, and only a lone Long-tailed Jaeger was reported. The lone Little Gull was spotted off Hamlin Beach. Even Lesser Black-backed Gull reports were relatively few.
- Eurasian Collared-Dove remained missing at the usual Hamlin site, but a lone individual was seen passing the Hamlin Beach lakewatch on the 21st.
- In spite of comments around slow days and even low banding numbers most of the month, again essentially all of the expected passerines were reported during this month. The most interesting reports are summarized in the Noteworthy table. All of the missing are species that often depart early or ones that would require a special effort to search fairly local sites in order to find them. Peak and total banding numbers were modest for all but high numbers for White-throated sparrow.
Observers: Jim Adams, C. Arnold, John Ballou, Ted Barnett, Jesse Barry, Jim & Liz Barry, Thomas Barry, Sue Barth, Doug & Sharon Beattie, Dick Beery, Don Bemont, Steven Benedict, Barry Bermudez, Brenda Best, John Boettcher, Lynn Braband, George Briggs, Joe Brin, Elizabeth (Betsy) Brooks – BBBO, Bruce Cady, Doug Cameron, Brad Carlson, Donna Carter, Roger Clark, Linda Clark-Benedict, Alexandra Class, Kelly Close, Andrew Consler, Doug Daniels, Willie D’Anna, Wayne Fidler, Daena Ford, George Ford, Kurt Fox, Benjamin Freeman, Andy Garland, Sheryl Gracewski, Jay Greenberg, Kevin Griffith, Michael Gullo, Judy Gurley, Andy Guthrie, Rich Guthrie, Anita Gwara, Ethan Gyllenhaal, Helen & Chris Haller, Kim Hartquist, Jim & Allison Healy, Brian Herne, Dick Horsey, Carolyn Jacobs, Ryan Kayhart, Tom Kerr, Jim Kimball, Kathy Kirsch, J. Gary Kohlenberg, Tom Lathrop, Leona Lauster, Greg Lawrence, Tim Lenz, Joan & Vern Lindberg, Patricia Lindsay, Peggy Mabb, Cindy Marino, Pat Martin, Kevin McGann, Jay McGowan, Matt Medler, Joyce Miller, Joseph Mitchell, Shai Mitra, Montezuma Audubon Center, Frank Morlock, Celeste Morien, Jim Mott, Brian & Brooke Morse, Allen Nash, Ann Nash, Tom Nash, Dave Nicosia, Dave Nutter, Joe Ovsiovitch, Andrea Patterson, Jim Pawlicki, Norma Platt, Betsy Potter, Jay Powell, Mike Powers, David Prill, Bill Purcell, RBA Field trips, Carolyn Ragan, Dick & Dorothy Rosche, Michele Rosenbaum, Wade & Melissa Rowley, Jennifer Rycenga, Livia Santana, Michael Scheibel, Luke Seitz, Dominic Sherony, Judy Slein, Tom & Pat Smith, Robert & Susan Spahn, Dave Spier, Chris Stanger, Joeph Stevenson, Kimberly Sucy, Jim Tarolli, Steve Taylor, Michael & Joann Tetlow, Mary Jane Thomas, Brad Walker, Mike Wasilco, Bill Watson. Bridget Watts, Drew Weber, Chip Weseloh, David Wheeler, Windbirders Muckrace Team (Bill Gillette, Bob Spahn, Allan Strong, & Kinsley Whittum), Joe Wing, Chris Wood.