- Keeping track of local bird happenings is an important part of the mission of the Rochester Birding Association. Indeed, this is an important part of the bird documentation process for the entire state, as NYSOA (New York State Ornithological Association) relies on regional editors with local knowledge to submit a full and accurate picture of state bird sightings.
Traditionally, RBA members who are active in the field work together to document the general picture of birding events of every month, to select the records to be considered Noteworthy, and to accept or reject the rarer or questionable sightings from the previous month.
Over the years, this has been handled by various committee members including Bob Spahn, Dick O’Hara, Kevin Griffith, Bill Symonds, and Dave Tetlow, among others (please let us know if we missed anyone). Andrea Patterson is currently serving as chair. Bob Spahn continues to assist on this committee. We welcome others who would like to join us.
The collection of Noteworthy Records tables can be found on PDFs in the Little Gull Archives prior to April 2014. Members are entitled to see all of these in the Little Gull. Here, we publish links to the more recent Noteworthy Records and one historical (2004) noteworthy sightings tables.
- January 2017 Sightings Report, Table
- December 2016 Sightings Report, Table; 2016 CBC Table
- November 2016 Sightings Report, Table
- October 2016 Sightings Report, Table
- September 2016 Sightings Report, Table
- August 2016 Sightings Report, Table
- July 2016 Sightings Report, Table
- June 2016 Sightings Report, Table
- May 2016 Sightings Report, Table
- April 2016 Sightings Report, Table
- March 2016 Sightings Report, Table
- February 2016 Sightings Report, Table
- January 2016 Sightings Report, Table, January Waterfowl Count Table
- December 2015 Sightings Report and Table
- November 2015 Sightings Report and Table
- October 2015 Sightings Report and Table
- September 2015 Sightings Report and Table
- August 2015 Sightings Report and Table
- July 2015 Sightings Report and Table
- June 2015 Sightings Report and Table
- Noteworthies MAY 2015; Narrative MAY 2015
- Noteworthies APR 2015; Narrative APR 2015
- Noteworthies MAR 2015; Narrative MAR 2015
- Noteworthies FEB 2015; Narrative FEB 2015
- Noteworthies JAN 2015; Narrative JAN 2015
- Noteworthies DEC 2014; Narrative DEC 2014
- Noteworthies NOV 2014 – updated; Narrative NOV 2014
- Noteworthies OCT 2014 – updated; Narrative OCT 2014
- Noteworthies September 2014; Narrative SEP 2014 – updated
- GOSAUG14 (xls); Narrative Post (link)
- Noteworthy July 2014
- Noteworthy June 2014
- Noteworthy April 2014
- Noteworthy April 2004* (historic)
In addition, follow the tag “Noteworthy Sightings” to follow narratives of these tables.
What kind of data do YOU think is noteworthy? What would you like to see here on the web? Please send an e-mail to Laura and let us know!
Meanwhile, we encourage you to send your sightings information to eBird and to Bob Spahn. Reporting what you see in the field is important not only to RBA members but the entire birding community. If you need assistance reporting your observations, please contact us for help.