***CANCELLED***High Acres Nature Area Field Trip
April 18 @ 8:00 am - 11:00 am
The RBA is committed to following NYS guidelines and directives regarding social distancing and the COVID-19 pandemic.
Currently, all field trips, meetings, and birds-and-brews through the end of April are cancelled, and we anticipate canceling events in May and June as well. As the situation is dynamic, we will continue to monitor conditions and make changes to our schedule as needed. Should the situation improve and Governor Cuomo lift restrictions on gathering sizes, we may reinstate currently cancelled trips. Visiting the event posting on our website is the surest way to tell if an event has been cancelled.
While we are not currently able to bird together during this difficult time, we encourage everyone to keep birding on their own. To keep yourself and others safe, we remind you to follow best practices for social distancing:
- Staying close to home minimizes your exposure, as long drives require more stops at gas stations and communal restrooms.
- Bird alone or with others from your household; do not go birding with friends.
- Avoid birding in highly trafficked areas. Instead of crowding into the Owl Woods or piling on the Hawkwatch Platform, find somewhere less populated. Visit https://rochesterbirding.com/birding-hotspots-map/
to find other spots to bird
- Avoid touching shared surfaces like railings and benches.
- Stay six feet away from others, even outdoors.
- Do not share scopes, binoculars, or field guides.
- Carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer or some alcohol wipes with you.
Enjoy the fresh air and migrating birds as spring unfolds. The sooner we all do our part to not spread the virus, the sooner we can all enjoy being together again.
Stay well and safe,
***CANCELLED***Over 130 bird species have been observed at HANA including more than 70 that nest in the diverse habitats found there. During this field trip we expect to see at least 40 species returning to nest or on their way to northern nesting grounds. Our approximately 2 mile walk will explore about 250 acres at HANA and include some wet spots requiring ankle-high waterproof shoes or boots.
We will meet at 8:00 a.m. at the parking lot on Perinton Parkway approximately 1/4 mile east of the Waste Management offices.