Community

White-throated Sparrow - Mendon Ponds - © Candace Giles - Dec 21, 2016

Join us for the 118th Christmas Bird Count of the National Audubon Society and the 114th Rochester CBC.

in Birding, Community, New Birders, Special Events, Volunteering

Hello RBA members,   It’s almost that time of year!  It sure feels like we’re finished with heat waves this fall, meaning wintering raptors will soon be showing up in local fields and wetlands.  Every year, NYSDEC regions across the state monitor wintering raptor presence to record where and how these birds are spending their time… Read more

in Birding, Community, Conservation, Educational, Volunteering

Update on Washington Grove zoning variance threat

A decision was made by the City of Rochester Zoning Board of Appeals on September 20th. Unfortunately, the Board voted 4 to 1, with one abstention, to allow the variance in favor of the Gabel proposal. The park’s welfare, the concerns that were raised in so much detail on August 17th and the many letters… Read more

in Birding, Community, Conservation

Please help us oppose a proposed house that will intrude on Washington Grove I received the following information which I felt our membership would like to have an opportunity to comment on. This request for a zoning change could be devastating to the birds and our birding fun in Washington Grove at Cobb’s Hill Park. … Read more

in Birding, Community, Conservation

SAVE THE DATE:   September 14, 2017, 7 pm. RBA general meeting Where:  Baptist Temple/Clover Center for Arts and Spirituality 1101 Clover Street, Rochester, NY Come hear an interesting and educational talk about Hawaiian birds by a long-time birder and RBAer, Dominic Sherony. Not a travelog, although there will be some great photos, we will learn… Read more

in Community, Educational

Early Morning Bird Watching and Picnic

Early Morning Bird Watching and Picnic June 25 @ 7:30 am – 9:30 am Join Amy Kahn (RBA) and June Summers (GVA) as well as Alexis Van Winkle (Ganondagan) for a 1.5 mile walk through woodlands, shrub, grassland and wetland habitat. Attendees Should Bring/Wear: Clothing appropriate to the weather, extra blankets or pillows if desired… Read more

in Birding, Community, For New Birders

by Amy Kahn, RBA President   Doing bird surveys last November and then again in early February I found Blacklegged ticks (deer ticks) upon doing my now mandatory nightly tick checks.  But the only time I got bitten was last fall gardening in my own backyard when I wasn’t checking nightly.  Now I wear repellent… Read more

in Birding, Community, Educational, Uncategorized

Are you ready for spring birding season?

Pine Warbler - Buffalo - © Dana Kalir - Apr 16, 2016

New species are arriving every day, it is time to bird when ever you can. We had a very successful warbler workshop and eBird class on Earth Day.  I look forward to seeing everyone out at our area warbler hot spots in coming weeks. New birders and experienced alike can meet up in the field… Read more

in Birding, Community

Great Backyard Bird Count

White-breasted Nuthatch (L) and Downy Woodpecker (R) - Irondequoit - © Candice Giles - Jan 24, 2017

Hi Rochester Birders, let’s join in with National Audubon and Cornell Lab and participate in the twentieth annual Great Backyard Bird Count February 17 – 20, 2017. The Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC) is a fun event that engages bird watchers of all ages in counting birds to create a instantaneous snapshot of bird populations… Read more

in Birding, Community, Special Events

In addition to the APEX Lighthouse Wind Project proposed for Yates and Somerset on the Lake Ontario shoreline, we have another proposed wind farm from the same company.  The Heritage wind project is being proposed in the Town of Barre, Orleans County just east of the Iroquois Wildlife Refuge.  APEX is holding an Open House… Read more

in Birding, Community, Conservation, RBA, Volunteering